Cilantro. I ate it. (and a few updates!)
You all donated (more than) $1,000 so far, and I said when we reached the $1,000 mark, I'd eat a handful of cilantro. I did it. Here ya go:
(Thanks, Linda, for shooting the video!)
Now, a few updates:
I've added a new book to the list of raffle giveaways for anyone who donates -- Michael Ruhlman's Ratio: The Simple Codes Behind the Craft of Everyday Cooking (signed by the author). Grant has also offered to sign the copy of Alinea, and I've got a signed copy of Thomas Keller's Ad Hoc at Home.
We've also got some goodies to give away, raffle-style, for those who donate $50 or more:
-- The good folks at Whole Foods have donated a $50 gift card;
-- The lovely, awesome people at Central Michel Richard here in Washington, D.C., have donated TWO $50 gift certificates; and
-- Judy Shertzer, managing partner of Terra Spice, has donated what we're calling an Alinea Starter Kit. She's going to put together packets of all sorts of potions and hydrocolloids... all the things we think are good to get ya started on your journey into the Alinea cookbook.
Now, on to what I'm gonna do at each donation milestone. I read your comments and your emails and your Twitter replies, and here's what I've decided:
- When we reach $1,000 in donations, I'll eat a handful of cilantro.
- At the $2,500 mark, I'll eat 6 raw oysters. [we're really close, and I'm really afraid]
- At the $5,000 milestone, I'll eat tripe soup.
- At the $6,500 milestone, I'll eat some celery. WITH NOTHING ELSE ON IT.
- Raise $8,000 (meeting last year's donations) and I'll tap dance in front of the White House. Yes, I own tap shoes, and no, I haven't used them since 1986.
- Think we can get to $10,000? If so, I'll eat a softshell crab with a side of durian.
- At $12,500, I'll videotape myself singing some really awful song at karaoke -- New Kids on the Block, Milli Vanilli, Celine Dion, Tone Loc...
- Reach $15,000, and I'll go work the line in a restaurant.
- If we go above $30,000, I'll sweeten the giveaway pot and take one lucky donor to Alinea for dinner sometime in 2010.
- And, if we reach $100,000 in donations to Share Our Strength, I'll not just change my name to Alinea Blymire, I'll take it one step further: I'll change my name to the different sized circles on the Alinea menu. Don't believe I'll do it? TRY ME.
So, head on over to Share Our Strength and help them do their great work.